| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starbucks Syrups
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I send an email to Starbucks customer support and asked them which are vegan.

The first response was that they can't say any are vegan because "Some vegans don’t eat processed sugar because they believe that part of the refinement process is when sugar cane is filtered through charcoal, which can be made of animal bones."

She then confirmed that the white mocha and pumpkin contain dairy, but said that the syrups that would be closest to to vegan are the standard mocha and the clear syrups. I asked for ingredients and she was kind enough to send this list, which I hope helps people.

Quote:
Hello Rachel,
Below I have listed all the clear syrups and the standard mocha sauce and their ingredients for you, we are not able to break down the ingredients any further then what they are below. Also, again I want to state that we are not able to say that any of our products are 100% vegan. I hope this helps.

Peppermint Syrup: Sugar, Water, Natural Flavours, Perservative: Sodium Benzoate (E211), Citric Acid (E330)

Raspberry Syrup: Sugar, Water, Natural and Artificial Flavour, Colours: Caramel(150d) and Red #40 (E129), Preservatives: Potassium Sorbate (E202) and Sodium Benzoate (E211) Citric Acid (E330)

Sugar Free Caramel Syrup: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavour, Cellulose Gum (E466), Citric Acid (E330), Sucralose (E955), Preservative: Sodium Benzoate (E211), Colour: Caramel (E150d)

Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce Syrup: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Cellulose Gum (E466), Citric Acid (E330) Sucralose (E955), Preservative: Sodum Benzoate (E211), Colour: Caramel (E150d)

Sugar Free Hazelnut Syrup: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavour, Maltodextrin, Cellulose Gum (E466), Citric Acid (E330), Sucralose (E955), Preservative: Sodium Benzoate (E211)

Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup : Water, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Maldodextrin, Cellulose, Gum(E466), Citric Acid (E330), Sucralose (E955), Preservative: Sodium Benzoate (E211), Colour: Caramel (E150d)

Toffee Nut Syrup: Sugar, Water, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Salt, Preservative: Sodium Benzoate (E211), Citric Acid (E330)

Vanilla Syrup: Sugar, Water, Natural Flavours, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate (E202), Citric Acid (E330), Colour: Caramel (E150d).

Mocha Powder: SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), VANILLIN (AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR)..

Thanks,

Nicole W.
CC Operations Management - Level III
customer contact center
Starbucks Coffee Company

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post subject: Re: Starbucks Syrups
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awesome, thank you!

I also asked the last time I was in there about the hot chocolate, and she said it is vegan if you get it with soy milk. They use the same syrup in it as the coffee drinks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Awesome, thanks, this is great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm going to bookmark this, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:14 pm 
protein lump

nobody cares about e-numbers! jesus!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

esme wrote:

Only megavegetarians.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

molly wrote:
I also asked the last time I was in there about the hot chocolate, and she said it is vegan if you get it with soy milk. They use the same syrup in it as the coffee drinks.

Isn't it the "classic" hot chocolate that's vegan (if you get it with soymilk and without whipped cream), but the "signature" hot chocolate isn't vegan (even when it's made with soymilk)? I remember something like this from a previous Starbucks thread, but maybe things have changed since then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So I can get a vegan mocha w/ soy milk? I must do this some time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lilyyw wrote:
molly wrote:

Isn't it the "classic" hot chocolate that's vegan (if you get it with soymilk and without whipped cream), but the "signature" hot chocolate isn't vegan (even when it's made with soymilk)? I remember something like this from a previous Starbucks thread, but maybe things have changed since then.

Yep, that's right. The signature hot chocolate mix has milk powder in it, whereas the classic hot chocolate is just made with the mocha syrup (which is just the mocha powder mixed with hot water).

If only we still had Starbucks here so the useless knowledge gained from my two years of slaving for them would actually be useful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:01 pm 
Semen Strong

nickvicious wrote:
So I can get a vegan mocha w/ soy milk? I must do this some time.

You can even get a soy peppermint no whip mocha!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:14 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Bun wrote:
esme wrote:

Only megavegetarians.

Damn. I was going to say that.

Anyway, thanks Tofulish!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wow. I emailed them last year and asked the same thing you did and some douche wrote back to me that they are no longer telling people the ingredients for their products and if I was worried that something wasn't vegan that I should just stop buying from them!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:18 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

JENNA wrote:
Wow. I emailed them last year and asked the same thing you did and some douche wrote back to me that they are no longer telling people the ingredients for their products and if I was worried that something wasn't vegan that I should just stop buying from them!

I thought their syrups were all Torani except the mocha? I don't know why they wouldn't disclose the ingredients of a product that they don't even make.

I emailed them last year about the mocha and they told me the ingredients, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 pm 
Semen Strong

The first email was a standard "we can't say any of them are vegan." But then I asked if she could tell me which ones had dairy/egg. She was nice enough to copy ingredients off the labels for the clear syrups, so I assume that some of the ones that I really want to try (Creme Brulee) aren't vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mmm I want a vanilla soy latte.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:20 pm 
Semen Strong

I like the idea of a toffee nut soy latte....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JENNA wrote:

Wow, what a dick. Just go into a store and ask one of the baristas. When people used to ask me about allergens and stuff I would always just hand them the bottle to read, since they could identify any problematic stuff better than I could.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:17 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Fee wrote:

I thought their syrups were all Torani except the mocha? I don't know why they wouldn't disclose the ingredients of a product that they don't even make.

The Torani syrups don't contain bone char sugar to boot...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for posting this! I recently had heard something about the sugar-free hazelnut having dairy in it, so I stopped getting it. Now I am free to go back to my bad habits! Although I'm still kind of nervous. Tofulish's list makes it look like the sugar-free hazelnut is all in the clear, but the list of Torani syrups someone posted last week said that their sugar free hazelnut had dairy in it. So, I guess the question is...who do you trust?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Natural and artificial flavors is always up in the air in my mind. I'd email Torani if I were you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Bun wrote:
esme wrote:

Only megavegetarians.

Yes, but can you email mc dounlds and ask them about their coffee's syrup??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:20 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Damn, I thought all the clear syrups were vegan, but if they're Torani, then the hazelnut might have dairy (their hazelnut and sugar-free hazelnut do, but classic hazelnut doesn't, according to the allergen chart).

I wish Starbucks would just say what is vegan, aside from the potential sugar issues. It's more confusing this way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Fee wrote:

I emailed them last year about the mocha and they told me the ingredients, though.

They don't use Torani. Starbucks has their own brand. The clear syrups are all vegan though. So is mocha. Chai/white mocha/pumpkin/caramel brule/etc are not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Megbeck wrote:
Thanks for posting this! I recently had heard something about the sugar-free hazelnut having dairy in it, so I stopped getting it. Now I am free to go back to my bad habits! Although I'm still kind of nervous. Tofulish's list makes it look like the sugar-free hazelnut is all in the clear, but the list of Torani syrups someone posted last week said that their sugar free hazelnut had dairy in it. So, I guess the question is...who do you trust?

I don't know that the syrups are Torani, but if Starbucks (or any company) gives me their ingredient list and I am happy its vegan, then I would feel comfortable having it.

Its does suck that the chai isn't vegan. I remember an earlier thread that said that it contained honey, and if that is the only nonvegan ingredient, it would seem easy to change.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:22 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Cool! So I could get a caramel soy latte? And a soy mocha frap? And (I'm trying to imagine what this would taste like but) a soy raspberry latte?